Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sweetness

Two wise health and wellness persons have told me in the past two days to , "have fun"--"bring some sweetness into your life". Even my oncologist spoke of giving me a chance to "have some fun". That I've not yet thought how to do that speaks to the necessity of reminding me.
The world's a pretty serious place, the decisions to be made in our local and national elections are very serious, addressing wrongs done to other nations--including especially those within our borders, is very sobering.
Watching documentaries, even historical movie dramas, make me shudder, make me cry. I want to do something, but what? And how am I to do that while having fun? The realization that came to me the other day while glancing at the "devastation as usual" newspaper headlines might be a starting place. I wondered, "What would be printed here if we were all happy and at peace, tending our gardens and our homes, exchanging our labor and goods in a neighborly and humane way, raising out children, enjoying the earth?" I realized that there would be nothing printed there. We are accustomed to a steady diet of greed, conflict, disharmony, desperation...and the global and environmental results of those ways of life. A world without such headlines to print...try to imagine...the magnitude of change that would create such a world.
Do something? I'm being told to do something--something fun, something sweet, to bring joy into my life. OK. I'm open to it. For starters I baked a Cypress Point Carrot Cake for my son Arlo's birthday, the first one I've made in decades. This evening he and Marina and Deija will be here for supper. That's sweet. That will be fun.

No comments: